Greater Tokyo

See & Do

reset
Takinoo-jinja Shrine

Takinoo-jinja Shrine

About a kilometer from Futarasan-jinja Shrine stands Takinoo-jinja Shrine, standing quietly amid the cedar trees. The atmospheric Takinoo-jinja is a popular place to pray for a successful marriage, pregnancy or birth, but people also come in search of more general luck. According to the legend, if you throw a coin through the small hole atop the torii gate at the entrance, you’ll be blessed with good fortune—but you only get three tries, so aim carefully."

Oshu kaido Nikko kaido TOCHIGI
Yakumo Shrine

Yakumo Shrine

Founded in 1192, Yakumo Shrine is affectionately called “Yakumo-sama” by local residents, reflecting its deep ties with the community. The shrine is dedicated to Susanoo-no-Mikoto, and visitors pray here for physical health, recovery from illness, safe travels, and protection from misfortune. Worshippers even come from afar to pay their respects. In addition to Susanoo-no-Mikoto, the shrine also enshrines Daikoreishin (Hosokawa Okimoto, the founder of the Mogi branch of the Hosokawa clan) as an associated deity. Within the shrine office and the Shushuden Hall (a resting place for parishioners), visitors can see displays of historical materials, including the armor helmet once bestowed upon the Hosokawa clan by Oda Nobunaga. Yakumo Shrine is also known as the guardian shrine of traffic safety and is closely associated with “TWIN RING MOTEGI.” During major motor races, both staff and drivers come to pray here for victory and safety.

Nikko kaido Oshu kaido TOCHIGI
Kinugawa Okashino Shiro (Dessert Castle)

Kinugawa Okashino Shiro (Dessert Castle)

From popular sweets to outdoor activities — a delicious and relaxing stop on your hot spring tripKinugawa Okashino Shiro is a multi-purpose tourist facility that combines Japanese and Western sweets, cafés, and hands-on experiences. Inside, more than 30 varieties of handmade sweets are available, including seasonal fried bread, natural shaved ice, and other popular items, making it the perfect spot to buy souvenirs or enjoy sweet treats. The facility also includes “KINU COFFEE” café and “FUN GARDEN” outdoor space, where you can enjoy freshly grilled skewers, cakes, barbecues, and seasonal activities. Visitors can even take part in a dorayaki (red bean pancake) making workshop, adding an enjoyable hands-on element to the trip.

Nikko kaido Oshu kaido TOCHIGI
Musha Festival

Musha Festival

On January 4 each year, the Musha Festival, an annual Shinto ritual in which arrows are shot toward Mount Akagi, is held at Futarasan Shrine's Chugu Shrine on the shore of Lake Chuzenji. It is based on a legend of Gods warfare, and is a tradition that has continued since the Muromachi period.   In the legend of the Gods battle, the deity of Mount Nantai in Nikko changed himself into a "giant snake," and the deity of Mount Akagi in Gunma changed into a "giant centipede" and fought over at Senjogahara. It is said that the deity of Mount Nantai won the warfare.   In accordance with the legend, the Guji (head of priests) stands on the Kamishimbashi and releases the first arrow, with a shout of "Ya" as a cold wind blows, followed by the priests and archers dressed in kariginu, who shoot arrows one after another in the direction of Mount Akagi in this heroic ritual.

Nikko kaido Oshu kaido TOCHIGI
Nasu Yuzen Shrine

Nasu Yuzen Shrine

History of Nasu Yuzen Shrine It is said that a hunter named Kano found onsen here when he was trying to hunt a white deer. He built this shrine for thanksgiving. According to an article written in Nara period (A.D 710~794), we can confirm that the shrine already existed during that time.   During the Genpei War in 12th century, an archer called Nasu Yoichi came here to pray for victory over Taira family’s army. He shot down a fan by one arrow that enemy put on the front of their boat when he stood on the ground. It made him became legend and the shrine became very famous for blessing Yoichi. Yoichi donated his bow and arrow to the shrine, which became shrine’s tressure later.   Shrine’s famous festival The most important event of the shrine is the “Dai Festival”, which is held on October 8 and 9 every year. They dedicate onsen to the God, and perform a traditional dance called “Urayasu Dance”.   Then on October 9, people perform another traditional dance called “Ozawa’s Lion Dance,” which is designated as the “Intangible Cultural Property of Nasu Machi” to pray for prosperity.   There is also a famous festival be held on the last weekend of May, the “Nasu Seshosseki Gojinka Festival”. The highlight of the festival is a parade from Yuzen Shrine to Sesshoseki by participants attired in white clothing with torches.

Nikko kaido Oshu kaido TOCHIGI
Hatsuyama Festival (Petanko Festival)

Hatsuyama Festival (Petanko Festival)

This Shinto Ritual is held in June 1st every year in Sengen Mountain (“Otoko Sengen” and ”Onna Sengen”). It is said that if you bring a baby born during last 1 year and pay visit to the shrine on this mountain and red stamp is put on the baby’s forehead, the baby will grow up in good health without illness. This Shinto ritual has begun more than 400 years ago and has been designated as an important cultual prpperty of Ashikaga City. Boy visit Otoko Sengen (Higher Mountain) and Girl visit Onna Sengen (Lower Mountain) If you can not pay visit to the shrine due to illness, etc., red seal will be stamp on the baby’s underwear.

Oshu kaido Nikko kaido TOCHIGI
Kanaya Hotel History House

Kanaya Hotel History House

In 1870, Dr. James C. Hepburn, an American medical missionary, visited Nikko and stayed at the house of Zenichiro Kanaya, who was a member of Gagaku (an ancient imperial court music) orchestra of the Toshogu Shrine. Foreseeing an increase in the number of foreign tourists to Nikko, Dr. Hepburn suggested that Kanaya open a hotel for foreigners. Following Hepburn’s advice, Zenichiro remodeled his house and opened “Kanaya Cottage Inn” in 1873.   Kanaya’s house was originally a residence of samurai warriors during the Edo period. For its unique architectural characteristics, Kanaya Cottage Inn was called “Samurai House” by its foreign guests.   In 1893, Zenichiro relocated his business and opened “Kanaya Hotel” on the top of the hill that overlooks the River Daiya. It was Japan’s first full-fledged western-style resort hotel and has been in operation at the same place to date.   The Kanaya Samurai House and warehouse were registered as a National Tangible Cultural Property in 2014 and opened to the public as the Kanaya Hotel History House in 2015.

Nikko kaido Oshu kaido TOCHIGI
Tochigi Flower Center

Tochigi Flower Center

The Tochigi Flower Center is located at the base of Mt. Mikamosan Park. Come enjoy a variety of flowers in a large flower bed shaped like six flower petals as well as the largest greenhouse in the country. The center plans a variety of exhibitions based on the season and also offers horticultural advice. Their permanent exhibits include flowers, fruits, and plants of the tropics and subtropics as well as strange, bizarre, and rare plants from around the world such as welwitschia mirabilis. Events are held showing off seasonal flowers."

Nikko kaido Oshu kaido TOCHIGI
Soun Museum

Soun Museum

This art museum stands at the southern edge of Ashikaga Park. The museum displays the artwork as well as the personal effects of Tazaki Soun, a Southern School painter who was active in Ashikaga from the end of the Edo period through the Meiji period. Known as a late Edo period loyalist painter, Soun studied under artists such as Kanai Ushu and his works have been highly praised outside Japan. Soun was also chosen to be the first Imperial Household Artist, once the highest honor for an artist in Japan, and the museum stores, conserves, and presents his artwork and personal effects. A thatched roof residence believed to have been the home of Soun stands in the museum's garden."

Nikko kaido Oshu kaido TOCHIGI